...C u r r i c u l u m ...V i t ae...
B. J. Ferrier,
PhD, B.A. (Sydney), B. Litt. (Hons.), Dip. Mus. (Comp.), Dip. I.T. (Web Design)
B.J. Ferrier has academic, multimedia production/design and performing arts/music strands to his CV.
The version presented herein is a complete chronological list of work experience.
Southern Cross University, Lismore, N.S.W.
Doctor of Philosphy (PhD) 2006
“Multimedia as Meta-Art: the processes and aesthetics of interactive digital art”; includes a folio of experimental multimedia art with exegesis; received University Scholarship;
Supervisor: Dr. Michael Hannan, Head of the School of Contemporary Arts, S.C.U.
Deakin University, Geelong, Victoria
Bachelor of Letters (Honours), 1994
Major: Performing Arts (Theatre Directing). Honours thesis was a study of the technical, performance and cultural issues involved in the mounting of a major Qld. multimedia/theatrical production aimed at tourists, depicting the Australian Aboriginal Dreamtime, entitled ‘Dreamtime People", for which author was also score composer/audio designer.
Southern Cross University, Lismore, N.S.W.
Diploma of Music (Composition), 1984
Major: Composition. Studio-based, equivalent to Bachelor undergraduate degree. Teachers were the eminent Australian composers Dr. James Penberthy and Richard Mills.
University of Sydney, Sydney, N.S.W.
Bachelor of Arts, 1980
Double Major: Psychology/Fine Arts
Minors: Philosophy, Anthropology and Economics.
Certificate IV in Workplace Training and Assessment completed 2003
Diploma of I.T. (Web Development)
Central Queensland University, Gold Coast International Campus, 2006;
Lecturer: New Media Histories and Technologies;
SAE School of Audio Engineering; 2005
- Lecturer, Introduction to 3D Animation using Maya 6.0;
- Guest Lecturer: Multimedia Production issues;
- Lecturer: dynamic web-pages using PHP, Actionscript and CSS
Central Queensland University, Gold Coast International Campus,
- Lecturer, Multimedia Design (Interface Design, Interactive Design & Web)
- Lecturer, Multimedia Development (CD ROM Development, Shockwave)
- Lecturer, Digital Audio
Southern Cross University, School of Contemporary Arts
Lecturer , Multimedia III; (HCI Design, Interactive CD production using Director; Web-sites using Shockwave Internet technology)
Griffith University, Conservatorium
Lecturer, Digital Production Methods
Lecturer, MIDI Music and Media
Assistant Professor, Multimedia
School of Information Technology :
- Multimedia 1 (Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver)
- Multimedia II (video editing, 3D animation, interface design)
- Multimedia III
- Interactive Media Programming (Flash Animation, Actionscript programming, Digital Audio design)
- Multimedia Special Topics
- Post-graduate supervision
School of Film and Television
- Lecturer, Video Production 1; Camera, lighting, sound, script development, production; non-linear editing using Adobe Premiere, and Speed Razor.
- Lecturer, Music Video Production
North Coast Institute of T.A.F.E., Kingscliffe College
Teacher and consultant, Digital Arts and Media; Courses developed and taught over this period:
- Digital Arts & Media Production Design & Development;
- Image Capture and Manipulation
- Scripting for Multimedia,
- Writing Copy
- Digital Industry Studies,
- Occupational Health & Safet
- Business and the Law
- Video production and editing
- Web design
- Digital Audio Recording and Editing,
- Principles of Animation
- Music Industry Studies.
· Facilitator, LearnScope Project (an Australian Flexible Learning Community initiative, funded by A.N.T.A.) focusing on the development of dynamic online collaborative learning experiences, using simple web technologies to facilitate distance learning and collaborative on-line design projects.
Southern Cross University ; School of Contemporary Arts
Lecturer, Music Industry Promotion & Publicity
Southern Cross University; School of Contemporary Arts
Lecturer, Professional Studies
Tutor in Video Post-production Sound
Tutor in Electric Guitar
Tutor in Music Composition
Australian Performing Rights Association since1974
North Coast Entertainment Industry Association
Music Managers Forum
Australian Interactive Multimedia Industry Association
AWARDS & HONORS
- A.S.E.A award for excellence in the arts. "Solomon and the Big Cat"; KITE Theatre Company in association with the Queensland Performing Arts Trust at Q.P.A.C.; composed and performed musical score. 1985
- Dept. of Ethnic Affairs Multicultural Award for film production; for the film "Green Tea"; composed score and post-production sound. 1994
- Golden Reel Award for Community Radio; "Bushfire Radio" for Central Australian Media Association, Alice Springs; produced 20 half-hour radio broadcasts featuring songs and music.
- Dolphin Award for Music Theatre; North Coast Entertainment Industry Association Award 1994
- Dolphin Award for A Capella Music; North Coast Entertainment Industry Award. 1994
- Twice winner of the Dolphin Award for Blues; 1995 and 1996 North Coast Entertainment Industry Awards
- NCEIA Dolphin Award for Music Video "Slim Pickens & Dr. Baz"
EMPLOYMENT and EXPERIENCE
(Projects completed in Multimedia Production/Design and Music/Performing Arts)
- Marketing Manager for Enhanced Energy Recovery (now Oasis Energy), Australian Organic Network Pty Ltd, and for the Public Group Ltd, producing logos, business cards, websites, brochures, powerpoints and corporate videos. Managed social media for these three companies. For Public Group have gained 15000 US instagram followers and 25000 Facebook followers
- Marketing Manager for The Tenant in Common Exchange (ticX). Managed social media accounts for ticX and the Organic Consumers Association of Australia - for OCAA have gained 38000 followers on LinkedIn.
- Continued performing as a solo entertainer. 100 (plus) performances per year.
- Performed at the "Splendour in the Grass Festival" with Val Ockart.
- Wrote and performed "Heaven & Hell: the Friendship of the Big O & the Man in Black" based on the lifelong friendship of Johnny Cash & Roy Orbison, 2 man show with Slim Pickens, toured NSW
- Began farming certified organic ginger, garlic & turmeric as Byron Bay Organics.
- Performances with African musician Kobya;
- Performances with Pete C. & Dr. Baz + the Propellors (blues).
- Designed websites for : music-leads.com; byronbayvision.com; organic-consumers.com.au (Organic Consumers Association of Australia); affordable-housing.com.au (Affordable Housing Solution); kobya.com.au (African musician Kobya); andycowan.com.au for blues pianist Andy Cowan.
2007-2016 Ongoing performances as musician entertainer in hotels and clubs of the North Rivers NSW and SE Queensland/Brisbane; average 100 performance per year; in the groups Snapshot (commercial pop duo in an 'unplugged' style); Slim Pickens & Dr. Baz (delta blues and cajun); Kellie Knight Band (performed at the Byron Bay Blues Festival and in duo with Kellie at the Adelaide Fringe Festival); Aysha & Dr. Baz (performed at Splendour in the Grass Festival). 2015 Airlie Beach Music Festival with Fiona Walsh; 2015 Gympie Music Muster with "I Hear That Train a-Comin' : The Johnny Cash Story". Designed cover for "Scarlet Fan" + promo videos, for novel by Australian author Melody Lemonde;
Examples of Websites designed and developed: Ray White, Hong Kong; Ray White Platinum Partners, Surfers Paradise; Real Estate World Group, Surfers Paradise; Macadamia Castle, Newrybar; Eagle Insurance, Byron Bay; Byron Music, Byron Bay; Edge Hairdressing, Byron Bay; Adult Dildo Vibes, Burringbar; Byron Bay Jewellery; scarletfan.com - author's website; poemshapes.com - author's website; Sydney Organic Trading Company; Earth Salt Life (Himalayan Rock Salt, Sydney) earthsaltlife.com.au; secretmensbusiness.com (Angus Waddell, Olympian); Bangalow Naturopath; Cooper Communications, Ocean Shores; andycowan.com (Melbourne musician); byronecopark.com Eco Village, Byron Bay; internationalorganicnetwork.com (Organic Food Wholesaler); certifiedorganicsolutions.com.au (Consultant); Byron Green Building Centre; Byron Cars; Caribean Roti King (Broadbeach); circuscomedy.com (comedian/acrobat); Cook Books from the Heart (organic cookbook onine shop); Cosmetic Surgery Thailand (Coolangatta); Dean Bohn Builders (deanbohnbuilders.com.au); Design Evolutions (Town Planning Consultant, Byron Bay); Doncaster Sporting Gear, Canberra; East Timor Children's charity (swim school); Global Resource Brokers (Surfers Paradise); Gold Coast Holiday Apartments (rental agency, Surfers Paradise); Compass Curtains (Byron Bay); ifixpoperty.com (Handyman, Byron Bay); Institute of Diabetes (naturopath, Southport); Joan Lawman Beauty (beauty salon, Byron Bay); Juno Energy (solar installations, Byron Bay); Lightworks Online (lighting shop, Byron Bay); matesrates.com (political protest, Mullumbimby); northernriversbasagent.com.au (Book Keeper, Lismore); nrcareersexpo.com.au, Lismore; pacificsurf.com.au (Holiday Apartments, Tugun); Pizza Paradiso, Suffolk Park; Rusty Miller Surf School, Byron Bay; Ryan Mediation Law, Coffs Harbour; Sharaine Natural Skin Care, Sunshine Coast; Timber Kit Homes, Billinudgel; Tonu Shane, sculptor; Australian Circus Artists, agency website, Byron Bay; Yamba Golf Club; Brunswick Heads Bowling Club; Rural Machinery Repair Service, Federal; Atlas Currency Exchange, (Byron Bay); Sacred Architecure (Arion Ocean Architect, Mullumbimby); Rob Aungle, (Structural Engineering, Mullumbimby); Sweet Pork (pork products Alstonville); accomseek.com.au (accommodation directory) Doncaster Sporting Centre (Canberra); homedecorideas.com.au (Byron Bay); edgehair.com (Hair Salon, Byron Bay); itmarketing.com.au (Canberra web sales); signworld.com.a (Canberra Signwriter); whygoldbullion.com.au (Gold Consultant, Byron Bay);
1997-2007 While working as an academic at a number of universities and Kingscliff Colleg of T.A.F.E. continued ongoing performances as musician entertainer in hotels and clubs of the North Rivers NSW and SE Queensland/Brisbane; average 100 performance per year; solo and in the groups Snapshot (commercial pop duo in an 'unplugged' style); Slim Pickens & Dr. Baz (delta blues and cajun); the Purple Drippers (50s rockabilly); Waiting for Brian (alternative rock); The Black Pearls (original r & b)
Freelance web-site design and development, Inner Spring Media
Designed Doc Span web-site and CD cover "The Treatment" (http://docpsan.net)
Designed MIX web-site for North Coast Music industry Association (http://nceia.org.au)
Voice-over/narration for "Afghan Willy "; documentary on a charismatic aboriginal camel handler and the muster of feral camels in North West Queensland; Croc Lumley Productions
"Traditional Mongolian Yurts" (corporate DVD production); video post-production, sound design and editing. wwwgreenhs.com.au
Designed Byron Bay Information Portal Guide to Byron
Westfield Finance TVC; video post-production/animation editing and sound mix
Performed at the East Coast Blues & Roots Festival, Byron Bay
Performed at Blues on Broadbeach , Gold Coast, with Slim Pickens & Doc Span
Performed at the Tamworth Country Music Festival with Slim Pickens and Errol Walsh
Performed at the Syjrock Music Festival, Norway with latin/flamenco trio Poco Loco
Festival performances, performing with Slim Pickens:
- East Coast Blues & Roots Festival, Byron Bay;
- Blues on Broadbeach, Gold Coast Queensland
- Syrock Music Festival, Vaeroy, Norway
- Sement Blues Festival, Kjopsvik, Norway
- Gympie Muster, Aramoor State Forest, Queensland
· Produced CD album of original compositions for Gav Hamilton, entitled “Boogietown”.
· Collaborated on CD album entitled “Cactus” for “Slim Pickens and Dr. Baz”.
· European Tour, with performances in Norway, London and Ireland, and a headline performance at the Sjyrock Music Festival, Vaeroy Norway, performing delta blues as “Slim Pickens and Dr. Baz”.
· Completed web-site for Organic Fish Australia, Pty Ltd.
1998-2003 The Little Gallery, Maryborough, Qld.
Digital Video Animator/soundtrack composer
Commissioned to create 4 x20-minute hour video animations using digital special effects techniques to create 'Take Your Space Now: a healing journey through colour and sound'; based on 60 oil paintings by the artist 'Duane'; (to be released on DVD later in 2004); produced promotional web-site and designed product packaging. Click here for more info.
· Performed at the prestigious international East Coast Blues Festival, Byron Bay, performing delta blues as “Slim Pickens and Dr. Baz”.
Freelance work 1999-2001:
· www.tarot-chesta . Web site for print artist Chester Harris promoting limited edition hand printed tarot cards
· Event Manager for Thursday Plantations Laboritories “Homecoming 2001”, outdoor concert featuring Daryl Braithwaite and a fireshow spectacular
· Corporate video for Prosperity Seminars, Australia (Brisbane).
· Conducted a course in Web-site design for the staff of Lismore Skill Centre
· Design assistance for Seed-savers Web-site
· Designed web site for Possum Creek Lodge (holiday accommodation)
· Produced corporate video for International Seminars Pty Ltd
· Web-site for Arion Ocean Design, Architects
· Producer, camera, editor & sound design for 1 hr documentary video entitled “Red Gold”, on the history of the red cedar industry on the NSW Far North Coast and recent experiments in cloning (now in post-production).
· Graphic design: CD cover for Brendan Smoother (Country Music Artist)
· Graphic design : Stationary, print ads & business cards; Dolphin Café Lennox Head
· Live vision mix (2 camera shoot), graphic design of packaging and duplication for Dance Studios at Ballina, Alstonville & Mullumbimby (NSW) end of year concerts
· Designed Poster for pop band “Crank”
· Mastered and Duplicated CDs for vocal artist Shanti Ramal
1998 Catholic Education N.T. “The Kukunari Show” Bathurst Island
Community artist/video producer
Commissioned to make a documentary on a health & education project run by 5 community artists among young Tiwi Islanders, to help combat youth suicide. This project included shooting and editing a half hour television segment on a daily basis for 6 weeks, which was broadcast nightly on the Bathurst Island Community TV network. (Click here for a slideshow of images of Tiwi life and art, captured during this project).
1998 Young Drums Percussion Orchestra, Aberdeen, Scotland
Video Documentary Producer/cameraman/video editor
commissioned to produce a video documentary of the "Young Drums" tour to Scotland to perform at the Aberdeen International Youth Festival.
1997 Knoch Tea Tree Exports,
Video Editor/sound editor/composer
record voice-over; video edit & post production audio for "Wild Harvest: the Gold standard for Tea Tree Oil"; corporate video explaining the superior medicinal qualities of organically grown wild-harvested tea tree oil. http://www.ttexport.com.au/
1997 Durrumbil Jazz Festival Committee
Commissioned to shoot archival footage of the inaugural Durrumbil Jazz Festival
1996 to 1997
Futera Pty. Ltd., Melbourne, Victoria
commissioned to design a set of 120 collectable cards entitled "Hemp DownUnder" for the makers of the Australian Cricket Board cricket cards. Click here to view.
1997 Young Drums Inc.,
Web site designer
designed and implemented website collating information for the Young Drums fund raising efforts towards the Aberdeen Youth Festival tour. Click here for profile.
1997 North Coast Entertainment Industry Association, Lismore, N.S.W.
produced the on screen video animations and winners/sponsors video titles for "the Dolphin Awards" presentation night
1990 to 1997
Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association,
tutor in digital music technology, sound engineering
short residential courses for trainee aboriginal sound engineers employed at the C.A.A.M.A. recording and television studios, Alice Springs; held at ISMedia Studios. (www.caama.com.au/.)
1997 Humble Pie Co., Billinudgel, N.S.W.
jingle composer / animator
produced a “dancing pie” T.V. commercial; composed & recorded jingle
1997 Chincogan Fiesta Committee,Mullumbimby, N.S.W.
Video documentary producer
commissioned to produce a documentary of the 1996 Chincogan Charge (cross-country endurance race) and the annual street parade.
1997 David Birch and the Nightcap Band
recording producer/graphic artist
Producer and guitarist on the album, a track from which won the N.C.E.I.A. award for best rock song. Designed CD cover and web-site for the music album “Byron Journey”
1996 Tangentyere Aboriginal Council, Alice Springs, N.T.
Cameraman, video editor and post-production sound for "Tangentyere Wardens", a half hour docu-drama commissioned by the Alice Springs Council of Elders to explain and celebrate the role of aboriginal wardens in Alice Springs community life; shown on ABC Imparja. Produced the soundtrack. For a profile of Tangentyere Council : www.atns.net.au/biogs/A000509b.htm
1996 Papua New Guinea Government,
Digital Sound Editor
post-production sound, and audio sweetening using ProTools; a documentary on reaforestation techniques
1996 North Sydney Council, Sydney; N.S.W.
Digital Graphic Artist
commissioned to use digital media technology to produce images based on aboriginal rock art, which were etched into aluminium plaques and are displayed as the final images in the Berry Island foreshores nature walk known as "The Gadyan Track".
1996 Pitjanjatjara Land Council, Ernabella, Amata , Pitjanjatjara lands NT
Audio and Video Producer
Commissioned to re-record a contemporary version of the Pitjanjatjara Land Rights Song in communities through the Pitjanjatjara Lands and make a documentary video of the process, as a health & education initiative, celebrating the unique Central Australian lifestyle. http://www.atns.net.au/biogs/A000304b.htm ; See images of the Pitjantjatjara lands here.
1996 Shane Warne, Swann Sport, Melbourne, Vic.
graphic design for Shane Warnes' stationery and business card. http://www.auscricket.com.au/currentnews_oct04_warnerecord.htm
1996 Slug'em Art,
multimedia producer; graphic artist
Commissioned to produced an pilot animation/promotional video, featuring a collection of 3D sculptured "KritterZ" by artist Chris Job;
Graphic design of a promotional book featuring same; created website for Slug'em Art
1995 Hughes Engineering, Ballina, N.S.W.
this company designs, constructs and exports 9-seat mobile virtual reality cinemas; they commissioned a series of 4 minute “adventure” videos with music/sound/titles, to which the computer controlled hydraulic motion of the portable theatre was programmed (similar to the Batman ride at Movieworld). Exported to Europe. http://www.lightwing.com.au/
1995 Eartha Kitt, Australian National Tour
band-leader & guitarist for legendary vocalist and cabaret artist Eartha Kitt (“Catwoman” from Batman TV series), including the nationally televised performance at the Gold Coast International Jazz Festival, & performances at Perth & Canberra Entertainment Centres & the State Theatre, Sydney. Visit http://www.usca.edu/aasc/kitt.htm for a profile of Eartha Kitt.
1995 Adult Community Education Inc., Lismore, Coraki, N.S.W.
Tutor in Radio Production
designed and delivered a two week workshop in community radio production and sound collage
1995 Young Drums Inc., Lismore, N.S.W.
shot & edited Young Drums music video entitled "Chinatown"; edited live concert footage shot by ABC of their performance of "Thus Spake Zarathustra" at Brisane's Piazza. Click here to visit Young Drums web-site.
1994 Nathan Cavalieri, Gold Coast International Jazz Festival, Surfers Paradise,
Band-leader and guitarist, accompanying guitar prodigy Nathan Cavalieri.
1994 to 1995
Boulevarde Films, Melbourne
commissioned to compose an opera entitled "Squizzy Taylor" which went into production as a feature film; Boulevarde Films subsequently was bankrupted through embezzlement and the project abandoned. The opera still exists in manuscript & demo tape. Click here for short account of the macabre life Squizzy.
1993 to 1995
Ismedia Studios, Bangalow, N.S.W.
Project recording engineer/producer/music video maker
produced and recorded music albums for country/folk music artist David Birch, fingerpicker/entertainer Tim Rickards, and Irish singer/songwriter Willi McElroy; produced video clips for African dance/ reggae artist "Kibwe" (broadcast on A.B.C.)
1994 "Dreamtime People", Sanctuary Cove Theatre, Qld.
Composer and Music Director
commissioned to create the music score for a hi-tech multimedia production staged as a permanent tourist attraction depicting Aboriginal Dreamtime mythology; show featured lazer lighting, and synchronized computer animation on 3 giant video screens; cast of 9 aborignal actors from the Black Swan Theatre Company
1994 LightWing Industries, Ballina, N.S.W.
produced corporate video for award winning light aircraft manufacturer and flying school. http://www.lightwing.com.au/
1993 Australian Film Commission, Brisbane
Film score composer
Compose and record music score, plus foley and sound editing for the film "Moments of Cruelty" dir. Guy Morgan; prod. Colin Oddy.
1985 to 1991
Queensland Performing Arts Trust, Brisbane
Composed & music directed productions for 5 years including "Three Legends of Kra" by Robyn Archer, starring Diane Cilento, with 150 voice choir; conducted 35 piece orchestra during the nine performances; directed by Nigel Triffitt. http://www.qpac.com.au
1991 Catholic Music Teachers Association of N.S.W., Cabarita Beach, N.S.W.
music technology workshops
developed & presented a 3 day "Computer Music in the Contemporary Classroom" workshop
1986 to 1990
Kite Theatre Company, Brisbane, Qld & extensive touring
Composed music for 5 joint productions between Q.P.A.T. and the Kite Theatre Company : the award winning "Solomon and the Big Cat"; "Whose Beach is it Anyway?" (toured nationally); innovative music technology based "Kris Makes a Machine"; "Sounds Good"; "The Day the T.V. Busted"
1990 Queensland Department of Education, Brisbane, Queensland
Composer and post production sound
Composed and recorded the score for the film "Openings" which highlighted the careers of women academics in Queensland; directed by Avrill Stark
1985 to 1990
Queensland Performing Arts Trust, Brisbane Queensland
Project development/Music Composition
On contract to the Education Office of the Queensland Performing Arts Complex:
· A series of public workshop/lecture/demonstrations of state-of-the-art digital music and video technology, featuring sampling of body percussion with audience participation, live video with digital special effects, triggered by audience-composed music; one lecture was broadcast live with phone-in feedback / participation, on statewide T.V.
· developed and conducted a series of music/video workshops for the disabled, and another series for terminally ill teenagers, composing music in a group using MIDI percussion triggers, and sampled sounds to tell stories; digital music and live video effects allowed for creation of "instant" video clips with positive body image and life experience outcomes.
· developed and conducted workshops for a small group of leading Brisbane young composers in compostion techniques using the Fairlight C.M.I.
· Digital music/video Installation, Concert Hall Foyer
· Live digital music performance, Foyers program, supporting "The Thunderbirds" live
stage production, Lyric Theatre
· Workshop in story-telling incorporating digital sound collage
1988 Brisbane Expo' 88, Brisbane, Qld.
Commissioned to produce an “art video” to be projected on a giant screen on the Expo’ Riverstage, as a visual complement to the UNESCO International Youth Orchestra's performances of Gershwin's "An American in Paris"; (collaborated with Paul Rainsford Towner).
1988 Brisbane Expo' 88, Brisbane, Qld.
Music Composer and soundscape design
Commissioned to compose and record quadrophonic soundtracks for the 17 hi-tech animatronic 'floats' which toured the Expo' site daily as part of the QANTAS $3 mil. "Light Fantastic" parade project
1988 N.T. Arts Council, tour of remote communities, N.T.
toured with Bill Davis, and leading aboriginal contemporary musicians including Frank Yamma; 26 concerts in 28 days with daily workshops to aboriginal communities in music technology, P.A. systems and lighting
1987 Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association, Broome, W.A.
Recorded traditional and contemporary aboriginal music of the Kimberley region. Artists recorded included "Scrap Metal" (featuring the Pigrim brothers) and 'demoed' the songs of Jimmy Chi which eventually became the hit stage show "Bran Nue Dae". www.caama.com.au/.
1985 to 1987
"Giant Steps", pop/rock band based in Byron Bay
band leader and business manager, graphic designer; music video director
innovative professional rock band; toured N.S.W.; support artists for leading Australian contemporary music acts including Cold Chisel, Black Sorrows, Divynals, Dragon, Goanna, Icehouse; produced a large body of experimental music videos; music video "Much More" broadcast on A.B.C. "Rage"
1986 La Boite Theatre, Brisbane, Qld
Composer / music director
Compose songs and incidental music for Grant Frazer's hit play "Summertime Blues". http://www.laboite.com.au/default.htm
1986 N.T. Department of Education & the Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association, Alice Springs
Radio producer/music arranger/composer
produced, in collaboration with Bill Davis, two series of 20 half hour radio programmes, entitled “Bushfire Radio” featuring songs, stories, and amusing "health jingles" featuring innovative digital audio collage and early experiments in digital music; aimed at fostering sense of place and local community pride and creativity; an album was released which is still selling today, and the first series won a CBAA "Golden Reel Award" for community radio, and was runner up in the international "Pater Awards". http://www.cbaa.org.au/content.php/404.html
1985 "Dreams and Machines" Vols 1 and 2, Byron Bay, N.S.W.
Released retrospective double album of excerpts from various experimental music commissions; designed packaging and advertising material
1985 Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association, Alice Springs
music industry consultant
commissioned to research and prepare culturally appropriate music business contracts and supporting explanatory material for use between C.A.A.M.A. and aboriginal bands and artists; resulting documents were translated into aboriginal languages; gave workshops in Copyright, A.P.R.A., professional issues relating to a rock band as a small business; also produced and recorded a series of 'call sign' jingles for C.A.A.M.A. radio
1982 to 1985
Music Farm Recording Studios, Byron Bay
worked as session guitarist and vocalist on a huge variety of projects including "The Pirate Movie" soundtrack, regional, state and national TV commercials including Cadbury's, Solo, Coca-Cola
1985 Queensland Performing Arts Trust, Concert Hall, Brisbane, Queensland
Writer/Director and Composer
commissioned to write and direct a multimedia concert/performance art piece entitled "Dreams and Machines", featuring the (then state-of-the-art) 'Fairlight Computer Music Instrument' (C.M.I.), 'Fairlight VoiceTracker'and 'Fairlight Computer Video Instrument' to demonstrate the future of digital technology in a multimedia performing arts context; also featured live video and live video synthesis effects projected on a giant screen, a 10 member modern dance group, wind quintet, 5 piece rock band, vocalists and additional digital technology. http://www.qpac.com.au/at_qpac/venues/concert_hall/
1985 Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association, Alice Springs
Music recording technology consultant
employed to research, purchase and set up a mobile recording studio with the aim of recording contemporary aboriginal music. Studio later permanently located at Alice Springs. Toured Qld, NSW and WA recording aboriginal music
1984 La Boite Theatre, Brisbane, Qld
Composer / Music Director/ Actor
Wrote & Composed (and programmed the digital music score) for "Goodnight World" , a rock musical spoofing the spate of doomsday theories and religious cults; cast of 20; 3 additional musicians; excellent review in "the Australian". Script assistance by Gerald Frape. Theatre in the round, directed by Mary Hickson. http://www.laboite.com.au/default.htm
1983 Sydney Water Authority, Coffs Harbour
Soundtrack composer/post-production sound
Composed & edited sound for "Sinbad the Sewerage Sailor"; a light-hearted documentary for schools, explaining the contemporary approach to waste treatment; directed by Paul Rainsford Towner.
1982 N.S.W. Education Department, Lismore, N.S.W.
Composed soundtracks for video program distributed to schools, entitled "This is Australia Today"
1982 The Palms Theatre Restaurant, Bangalow, N.S.W.
wrote and directed the season of "It's No Picture Show"; starring Barry Ferrier, Rodney Gooch, Glenda Lum, Gerald Frape.
1981 Rochdale Theatre, Lismore Theatre
recorded the soundtrack and acted lead role in "Beach", surrealist theatre piece, written and directed by Paul Rainsford Towner
1978 to 1980
R.C.A. Corporation, Sydney
Recording original songs as the duo Lindon/Ferrier with multi instrumentalist/vocalist Cammie Lindon, and managed by Harry Widmer;
· Support act in acoustic mode for Ry Cooder at the Palais Theatre, Melbourne
· toured as the support for the Norman Gunston Chrismas Show; (yes, really!)
· television appearances included Molly Meldrum's legendary "Countdown" and the Ray Martin Midday Show.
·live broadcast for JJJ network in duo with Cammie Lindon
1978 Australian Broadcasting Commission, Sydney , N.S.W.
Composer / Music Director
Composed recorded & produced music for ABC Radio drama's production of " The White Bird"
1978 Nimrod Theatre Co., The Stables, Sydney
Composed incidental music to the production of Anthony Schaffer's "Whodunnit?"
1977 Lindsay Kemp Mime Company, The Roundhouse, London
Performed in the influential Kemp production of “Flowers” in New Arts Cinema, Sydney and Comedy Theatre, Melbourne;
Composed the innovative quadraphonic electronic score for Kemp's "Salome"; this score described by the London Times as "thrilling"; 18 month sell-out season at London’s Roundhouse. (Collaborated with Andrew Thomas Wilson). Click here for a profile of Lindsay Kemp.
1977 "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour DreamCoat",
York Theatre, Seymour Centre, Sydney, N.S.W.
Among a cast of Australian stars including Mark Holden, played "Simeon" and "Potiphar",
1977 "The Ferretts", Melbourne
Toured as bass guitarist with No. 1 charting pop group, former members of the original "Jesus Christ Superstar" cast.
1977 "The Astounding Optimissimos in 'Paradise: Depression Style'", Pram Factory, Melbourne
experimental comedy directed by Jean Pierre Mignon (Australian National Theatre)
1977 Flying Trapeze Theatre Restaurant, Melbourne, Victoria
co-wrote and performed in the ensemble production of experimental theatre/cabaret show "Kabaratz" ; wrote and directed the season of "The Milky Way Cabaret Show" which later toured as "The Silent Scream Show". Experimental mixed media production with projections and sound collage.
1976 J. Albert & Son, King St. Studios
Composer/ Recording Producer
Recorded an album of the rock musical "Magical Frank", featuring Reg Livermore, and 'King of Pop' John Paul Young, the Ferretts and Arthur Dignam; this mixed-media musical theatre piece ran for 1 month at the Total Theatre, Melbourne
1976 Crest International , Melbourne
composed "The Boy Who Dared to Dream" in collaboration with lyricist Frank Howson; produced L.P. recording starring John Waters, Trevor White and Tommy Dysart, numerous mixed-media stage productions
1975 National Rock Theatre, Melbourne
campus tour of politically inspired musical comedy entitled "Africa: the Savage Musical"; written & directed by Steve J. Spears (of ‘Elocution of Benjamin Franklin’ fame)
1975 American Express Corporation, Sydney
appeared with Karl Malden, as “the hippy handbag snatcher” in the internationally released American Express commercial
1974 “Jesus Christ, SuperStar”; Harry M. Miller Productions, Capitol Theatre Sydney & Palais Theatre, Melbourne
played an Apostle, and worked as utility understudy for minor parts including Peter, Caiaphus and the Pharisees etc, thus enjoyed a stage apprenticeship playing a different role most nights.
1970 to 1974
2JJ live concert appearance; MD for Dobie Gray (of "Drift Away" fame); band leader/guitarist.
Jeff St. John Band, Sydney
band leader for legendary Australian vocalist
1974 Sunberry Pop Festival, Melbourne Victoria
performed as guitarist with Colin Hay of "Men at Work"
1972 Australian School of Radio & Television & the A.B.C., Sydney, N.S.W.
actor and music arranger
lead acting role in the film "Second Time Straight" written and directed by Craig Kirshner; also produced soundtrack song "Feelings" and incidental music
1970 Composed the music in collaboration with Roderick Morgan for an experimental 16mm film made by student film maker Phil Noyce